понеделник, 8 август 2016 г.

Lifestyle:Books I've Read Recently #1 (EN)






Hello everyone

It’s vacation season and most of the people tend to read more and that’s why I decided today to write about the books I’ve read recently and I’ll be glad if you leave me some suggestions for new books to add to my read list. Reading is my oldest hobby (and my most non-girly-and-beauty-related one :DD), but I barely have time to practice it anymore (does someone really has the time to read on everyday bases?!), but one of my New Year resolutions is to start reading more as often as I can. I finally decided to get an electronic book so do you have any suggestions for brand and model? I’m thinking about buying Kindle Paperwhite 2015 but I’ll appreciate it if you left me a comment which one should I buy.

I love reading all kind of genres but to be honest Im not really into the fantasy (beside Harry Potter of courseall time favourite of mine), so that’s why the books I’ve read recently are mixture of styles and authors.

Here’s what I’ve read recently, resumes of the books and my opinion about them:


Classic Literature:

1.”Gone with the windpart I and II, author Margaret Mitchell,





Resume: The story is set in Clayton Countyand Atlanta, both in Georgia, during the American Civil War and Reconstruction Era. It depicts the struggles of young Scarlett O'Hara, the spoiled daughter of a well-to-do plantation owner, who must use every means at her disposal to claw her way out of the poverty she finds herself in after Sherman's March to the Sea. A historical novel, the story is a Bildungsroman or coming-of-age story, with the title taken from a poem written by Ernest Dowson. Written from the perspective of the slaveholder, Gone with the Wind is Southern plantation fiction. Its portrayal of slavery and African Americans is controversial, as well as its use of a racial epithet and ethnic slurs. However, the novel has become a reference point for subsequent writers about the South, both black and white. Scholars at American universities refer to it in their writings, interpret and study it. The novel has been absorbed into American popular culture. Margaret Mitchell was imaginative in the use of color symbolism, especially the colors red and green, which surround Scarlett O'Hara. Mitchell identified the primary theme as survival. She left the ending speculative for the reader, however. She was often asked what became of her lovers, Rhett and Scarlett. She replied, "For all I know, Rhett may have found someone else who was less difficult."Two sequels authorized by Mitchell's estate were published more than a half century later.
My opinion: I love classic literature and I think I shouldve readGone with the wind way earlier. The roman is fascinating intriguing, the author M. Mitchell skillfully tells the story of Scarlett’s transition from spoiled little girl to brave young woman, which survived the war between the North and the South, while is desperately inlove with inappropriate man and got married twice to the wrong men.  My only critics about this masterpiece is about it’s end – it was so unexpected and uncompleted. I was expecting clearer denouement of Scarlett and Reth’s relationship. Luckily, there is sequel written by Alexandra Ripley. I loved “Gone with the wind” and I think everyone that’s into classic literature should read it at least once.

2.”Scarlett” – Sequel of  „Gone with the wind”, part I and II, author Alexandra Ripley        





Resume: The book begins where Gone with the Wind left off, with Scarlett attending the funeral of her former sister-in-law and rival for Ashley Wilkes' affection, Melanie Wilkes, at which her estranged husband, Rhett Butler, is not present. Scarlett, heartbroken and aggravated that Rhett left her, sets out for Tara and is saddened when she learns that Mammy, her mainstay since birth, is dying. She sends a telegram to notify Rhett about Mammy under the name of Will Benteen (her sister Suellen's, husband), because she knows that Rhett won't come if he suspects Scarlett is there. Before Mammy dies, she makes Rhett swear to look after Scarlett. Rhett agrees, although he has no intention of honoring the request. After Mammy's death, Rhett and Scarlett fight, which culminates in Rhett leaving and Scarlett returning to the Atlanta house, determined to win Rhett back. Scarlett travels to Charleston to visit Rhett's family and tries to corner him by winning his mother's affection. She convinces Rhett to take her for a sail on the harbour, where their boat capsizes during a terrible storm. Scarlett and Rhett swim to an island, where they make love in a cave. Rhett initially denies, then admits, that he loves Scarlett, but he does not want to "lose himself" over her again. Back in Charleston, Rhett leaves Scarlett near death at his mother's house, telling her, in a letter, that while he admires her bravery, he will never see her again. After Scarlett regains her strength, she leaves Charleston with her two aunts, Pauline and Eulalie, to attend her maternal grandfather's birthday celebration in Savannah. She leaves a note to Rhett's mother with Rhett's sister, Rosemary, who burns the note. Scarlett connects with the Savannah O'Haras against her maternal family's wishes. Scarlett's grandfather offers Scarlett his inheritance if she remains with him in Savannah until his death and avoids contact with her father's side of the family. Scarlett refuses and storms out of the house. She goes to stay with her cousin Jamie and his family. Soon another cousin named Colum, a priest from Ireland, joins them. Scarlett agrees to travel to Ireland with him. By this time Scarlett has realized that she is pregnant with Rhett's child but she keeps her pregnancy hidden. In Ireland, Scarlett is heartily welcomed by her Irish kin. Exploring with Colum, they pass an old house called 'Ballyhara'; it was O'Hara land long ago before the English seized it. Scarlett soon receives a notification of divorce from Rhett. She makes plans to leave for America but learns that Rhett is now married to Anne Hampton, who is said to resemble Melanie Wilkes. As Ballyhara is restored, Scarlett eagerly awaits the birth of her child, praying for it to be a girl and vowing to be a good mother.  After Scarlett has settled down in Ballyhara, she runs into Rhett a number of times—in America while she is on the boat to Boston, at a fair where she admits she still loves him, and at a foxhunt a week later. He still does not know he has a child. He then seeks her out at a society ball and Scarlett realizes he still loves her.
My opinionAs I said “Gone with the wind” needs a sequel but I didn’t quite like it. No doubt A. Ripley put a lot of effort writing the sequel but I think her style of writing differs too much from M. Mitchell’s. Yes, the characters are the same, the storyline is intriguing and the end of the story is what we all expected but for my taste Ripley put too much storylines at the same time, her writing style is too chaotic and it didn’t fall short of my expectations. You should read it if you are not satisfied with M. Mitchell’s end of the story, but if you like it enough – you may skip this sequel.


Crime Stories:

1.”Just another sucker”, author James Hadley Chase






Resume: A man will do almost anything when a rich and beautiful woman offers him fifty thousand dollars just to make a telephone call. But when that telephone call is part of a fake kidnap plan to extract five hundred thousand dollars from one of the richest men in the world, only a sucker would gamble on the deal paying off in his favour. Harry Barber is a sucker. After three and a half years in jail for a crime he didn't commit, with no job and no money, he is the perfect target of a brilliant plan to frame him for the brutal murder of a young girl. 

My opinion: For me Agatha Christie is the best author of crime stories and I always compare other crime stories to hers.Just another suckeris the first book of J.H. Chase that I read but is no doubt not my last one. I have to say that I’m impressed. His writing style reminds me of A. Christie’s but the difference is that if Christie’s books tend to be a bit more women oriented then Chase’s are this much men oriented. I love old school crime books so much more than the modern ones and this one is no exception – it has that retro feel in it. Tbh I was a bit skeptical about the not so original idea of fake bribe but the author surprised me with the denouement and till the end you read with some tense. It’s a perfect beach reading and I personally read it for just one afternoon while I was travelling. I highly recommend this book if you’re into crime stories. Right after I read “Just another sucker” I was craving another crime story so I picked up

2. „Guilty are afraid”, author J. H. Chase





Resume: The novel is set against the background of a rich gangster ridden city on the Pacific Coast where Lew Brandon, the protagonist, looks for the killer who disposed of his partner Jack Sheppey.

My opinion: Although I like both of the books I like this one a bit better, because it’s storyline is more dynamic and so tangled that 20 pages before the end I had no idea who the killer was (and I’ve read all of A. Christie’s books and I thought that crime stories couldn’t surprise me anymore, ha ha). I downloaded all of Chase’s books and I think I’m going to read them all – I’m very impressed.  


Biography:

1.”Not without my daughter”, author Betty Mahmoody,





Resume: In August 1984, Michigan housewife Betty Mahmoody accompanied her husband to his native Iran for a two-week vacation that turned into a permanent stay. To her horror, she found herself and her four-year-old daughter, Mahtob, virtual prisoners of a man rededicated to his Shiite Moslem faith, in a land where women are near-slaves and Americans despised. Their only hope for escape lay in a dangerous underground that would not take her child.

My opinion: “Not without my daughteris one of those books that you read at one go. Like literally! The story line is so intriguing and got my interest after just a few sentences I read at first. The book is written by Betty Mahmoody which went to Iran with her Iranian husband and their child to spend their vacation there. But, her husband planned to stay there forever with her and Mahtob, he changed completely after he started living again in his motherland. Betty describes the war-time situation at Teheran, the misery there, the awful misbehavior her Iranian relatives demonstrate, the way her husband took her freedom away and the impossibility to go back to the US with her daughter. She tried a few times to run away from Iran and describes the way she does this and the obstacles she has while trying to escape from the terror there.  Definitely recommend.

2.”For the love of a child”, author Betty Mahmoody






Resume: In this sequel to Not Without My Daughter, Betty Mahmoody describes her cultural readjustment to America, her constant fear of her husband's revenge, and her frustration with a legal system unable to offer her protection-but the story is not hers alone. Mahmoody describes her many encounters with others who have tried to escape similar situations, telling their dramatic stories with the sensitivity of one who knows only too well what they've been through and how far they still have to go. For The Love of a Child is a thrilling adventure with a vitally important message.

My opinionCompared to Not Without My Daughter, For The Love of a Child is soooo boring that I almost feel asleep while reading it.  I know that the storyline of the first book is real and biographical and I was sure that Betty wouldn’t go back in Iran after everything that happened there but I was expecting more. For The Love of a Child describes Betty and Mahtob’s life after they are back in the U.S. and their life is completely boring and monotonous. The  only thing I find interesting about this book is the part that were described similar to Betty’s cases – parents that are in trap with their kids in a Muslim country and have no rights there. Those stories are really interesting but they are only 20 pages, the rest of the book doesn’t worth reading. I don’t recommend at all.


Historical drama:

1.„Memoirs of a geisha”, author Arthur Golden 






Resume: A literary sensation and runaway bestseller, this brilliant debut novel presents with seamless authenticity and exquisite lyricism the true confessions of one of Japan's most celebrated geisha.
In 
Memoirs of a Geisha, we enter a world where appearances are paramount; where a girl's virginity is auctioned to the highest bidder; where women are trained to beguile the most powerful men; and where love is scorned as illusion. It is a unique and triumphant work of fiction - at once romantic, erotic, suspenseful - and completely unforgettable.            
 
My opinion: I kind of like this book because I learnt a lot about this culture and its traditions. Honestly I can’t say that I’m impressed with this book – it was interesting and it has intriguing story line but it’s not one of my favourites and I wouldn’t reread it. I recommend it if you don’t have anything in your read list – you would learn new things but otherwise – no.


Graphic novel:

1.”The kite runner”, author Khaled Hosseini






Resume: “It may be unfair, but what happens in a few days, sometimes even a single day, can change the course of a whole lifetime." 
Amir is the son of a wealthy Kabul merchant, a member of the ruling caste of Pashtuns. Hassan, his servant and constant companion, is a Hazara, a despised and impoverished caste. Their uncommon bond is torn by Amir's choice to abandon his friend amidst the increasing ethnic, religious, and political tensions of the dying years of the Afghan monarchy, wrenching them far apart. But so strong is the bond between the two boys that Amir journeys back to a distant world, to try to right past wrongs against the only true friend he ever had.
The unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father’s servant, 
The Kite Runner is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption; and an exploration of the power of fathers over sons—their love, their sacrifices, their lies.
A sweeping story of family, love, and friendship told against the devastating backdrop of the history of Afghanistan over the last thirty years, 
The Kite Runner is an unusual and powerful novel that has become a beloved, one-of-a-kind classic.

My opinion: The Kite Runner” is the first book by K. Hosseini that I read and I have to say that Im really impressed. Hosseini has intriguing writing style and I read chapter after chapter all in one breath. The author flew from Afghanistan during the war and describes the life in Kabul the way he remembers it as a child. The story is so sad and concussive – war terror, flight from the motherland, life of the Afghanian kids who didn’t have the chance to flight and lived in misery and poverty and often got victims of terrible Afghan tradition called “Bacha Bazi” and become sex slaves. I highly recommend this book – it is so powerful and one of a kind but keep in mind that is really, really sad.


Chick lit:

1.”I heart Paris”, author Lindsey Kelk






Resume: Angela is in the city of love - but romance is taking a nose-dive! When Angela Clark's boyfriend Alex suggests a trip to Paris at the same time as hip fashion mag Belle asks her to write a piece, she jumps at the chance. But even as she's falling for the joie de vivre of Paris, someone's conspiring to sabotage her big break. And when she spots Alex having a tete-a-tete with his ex in a local bar, Angela's dreams of Parisian passion all start crashing down around her. With London and her old life only a train journey away, Angela can't decide if should stay and face the music or run away home!

My opinion: I love chick lit and I’m always searching for new good chick lit roman – easy to read, relaxing and always including women temptations – hot guy and a lot of makeup and other beauty related stuff. Lindsey Kelk (as well as Sophie Kinsela) are my all time favourite chick lit authors and I’ve read everything they launched. I heart Parisis the 3rd book from L. Kelk’s line “I heart” – the first one is about New York, the second one – about L.A. Although this is the 3rd one I don’t think it’s necessary to read the other one first. Angela is already in Paris and works as a correspondent for a beauty magazine, but instead of helping her, her French assistant tries her best to disturb her, at the same time she has nothing to wear at the fashion capital of the world – her suitcase was lost, her boyfriend’s ex girlfriend tries so hard to get him back and they broke up and on top of that Angela doesn’t speak French. The book is really nice and is pleasure to read it. I highly recommend “I heart Paris” and all of L. Kelk and S. Kinsela’s books.

2.”Last Chance saloon”, author Marian Keyes






Resume:  Ever since legwarmers were cool, best friends Tara, Katherine, and Fintan have survived small-town ennui, big-city heartbreak, and endless giddy nights out on the town. But now that they've graduated to their slightly more serious thirties, only Fintan has what can honestly be called a "love life." With Tara struggling daily with her eternal diet—and her dreadful, penny-pinching boyfriend—and Katherine keeping her single existence as organized as her drawer full of matching bra and panty sets, it seems they'll never locate the exit door out of the "last chance saloon."
 But it's always when you are least ready for change that fate insists on one. And when catastrophe inevitably follows crisis, the lives of three best friends are sure to change in unexpected ways ... and not necessarily for the worse.

My opinion: From the perspective of my 22 years this book is so depressing! I read chick lit to relax and a good chick lit book has to bring positive emotions in me but this one brings me only depressive and sad thoughts. Storyline – 3 friends, one is a gay and is really sick, the other one is woman with weight problems which tries to convince herself how happy she is with a man who doesn’t want to marry her, and the 3rd one is lonely accountant, also marked from unhappy relationship which depresses her more than 10 years. Long story short – I don’t like this book at all. A few years back I read another chick lit roman by M. Keyes and I didn’t like it at all too so I won’t read anything from this author in the future. A big no-no.


Erotic/love story:

1.”50 shades of grey”, author E. L. James






Resume: When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and, despite his enigmatic reserve, finds she is desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her, too—but on his own terms.
Shocked yet thrilled by Grey’s singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success—his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family—Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian Grey’s secrets and explores her own dark desires.
Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.

Мy opinion: Well, this book is definitely the most scandalous and discussed one in the past few years. I’ve postponed reading this for so long since I’m not really a fan of this type modern literature and I haven’t even read anything by modern authors like Paulo Coelho or Elif Shafak for example. Plus I made the mistake to watch the movie first which is total miss and I had no interest in reading the Shades trilogy. But! A few weeks ago a read an article that says that the “50 shades” trilogy broke the records for UK’s best selling adult book and I decided to give the trilogy a chance – there must be something about them to be a total hit, right? And maybe since I has absolutely no expectations I kind of like this book. And the sequel too.  On my opinion the story line is kind of a modern and hardcore Cinderella version, but I like it a bit. When it comes to the famous and so overrated sex scenes – hmm, totally not impressed with them. I’ve read Bukowski’s work and for me he is way more scandalous and better at writing about this type of sex than E. L. James. Although there’s something sweet and intriguing about this whole storyline that make me grab the sequel

2. ”50 shades darker”, author E. L. James





Resume: Daunted by the singular sexual tastes and dark secrets of the beautiful, tormented young entrepreneur Christian Grey, Anastasia Steele has broken off their relationship to start a new career with a Seattle publishing house.
But desire for Christian still dominates her every waking thought, and when he proposes a new arrangement, Anastasia cannot resist. They rekindle their searing sensual affair, and Anastasia learns more about the harrowing past of her damaged, driven, and demanding Fifty Shades.
While Christian wrestles with his inner demons, Anastasia must confront her anger and envy of the women who came before her and make the most important decision of her life.
Erotic, sparkling and suspenseful, Fifty Shades Darker is the irresistibly addictive second part of the Fifty Shades trilogy.

My opinion: The first book got my interest by this one is much better and intriguing. I don’t know if its because I’ve already watched the movie and I know what’s going on but “50 shades darker” is more interesting and the inception of the action is intriguing. I recommend those 2 books if you’re looking for something not really deep, fun and more on the teenage side. To be honest – author’s dictionary is so poor that it hurts and this book won’t enrich you in way. Both books have that modern twist in and the right amount of romantic to win the masses. In my next post What I’ve read recently I’ll share my opinion about “50 shades freed” and “Grey” as well.                         
                                                                        
What have you read recently and which are your recommendations? Leave me a comment:))
*All photos except for the first one are taken from Internet

Like my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/preslavasbeautydiary or follow me on Instagram for more pictures: https://instagram.com/preslavasbeautydiary

Have a nice evening ♥


Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар